Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Windows 8.1 Update 1: I couldn't wait for an automatic update

Announced but missing...
This latest Update 1 was released to the public yesterday, April 8, and we users were advised that it would be installed automatically with the other regular Windows updates. However, I couldn't wait and jumped directly to the Microsoft page labeled Install the latestWindows 8.1 Update, related to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article KB2919355 that describes the Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update. I installed the update manually and I like the new enhancements. However, for the strangest of reasons, I missed this time the Star Menu (!). Yes, I always said that this menu is no more that a bunch of shortcuts, that mostly people with little knowledge of the Windows UI and zero knowledge of the keyboard shortcuts (since Windows 95!) love to use. Like many users I was fooled by the preview screenshots that included a brought-back-to-life Start Menu, however one of the TechNet blogs, with excellent information about the whole update, explains: "It does NOT include the Start menu that you may have seen/heard about at the recent Build conference. That is some exciting near-future stuff, which demonstrates our on-going commitment to deliver on customer feedback (such as your comments on this very blog)."

No comments:

Post a Comment