Saturday, May 31, 2014

How to update to Windows Phone 8.1

To install the newest version of Windows Phone 8.1, "a magnificent smartphone platform" according to a rare review by ars technica, requires some steps that at first I couldn't figure out easily. I tried to install it through the free tool Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone, but I was not able to go anywhere (perhaps I was mistaking WP8 with Windows 8.1? I don't know, but it doesn't matter now) yet, I kept trying. Finally, I was able to do it with a free App called Preview for Developers (see icon to the right). Very important to note that "You must meet one of the following three requirements: (a) have an active Windows Phone Dev Center account; (b) have an active App Studio account; OR (c) be running a registered developer device (‘dev unlocked’ phone)" but you should also heed this warning: You CANNOT REVERT to a prior OS version once you have taken an update via this program. Additionally, your phone needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and follow, after reading carefully, all the prompts on your phone. The process takes more than an hour (not minutes as indicated!) and a lot of phone restarts. Make sure you don't do it close to midnight if you don't want to stay up late!

No comments:

Post a Comment